Catch up on the week that was in Louisville by taking in a collection of hand picked happenings pertaining to the music community, the restaurant scene, our sports teams, etc. Every Friday, we’ll put together a list consisting of news tidbits that we either hadn’t had a chance to cover or news that we’d already written about but figured you might have missed. In other words, this is all of the weekly news that matters to us.
EDITOR’S NOTE: There was no News & Notes post last week because I was in Ireland, but I’m back and better than ever.
Got a tip on something you think should be on next week’s Weekly News & Notes? Let us know at email@example.com.
- This week’s featured album has been Rat Race, the savagely loud and fantastic new EP from noise rock band Nesh. Read my review here, then listen to it below via Bandcamp (or on Spotify).
- The first annual Citrus Fest is this weekend (9/21 & 9/22) and is set to take place at OPEN Arts Community Center at 2801 S. Floyd Street, and in addition to a bunch of music, a bunch of food trucks and visual artists will also be on site. Tickets will cost $10 per day, or $15 for a weekend pass. Get more info on the festival here.
- Speaking of Citrus Fest, producer/rapper/singer/everything-doer Yons is set to perform on Saturday at 8PM. To promote the event and his set, he performed live on Great Day Live — check out his performance below:
- Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band are bringing the Travelin’ Man Farewell Tour to KFC Yum! Center on Saturday, December 8, 2018! Tickets go on sale 9/28 at 10am.
- Is your band looking for a place to record your next single or album? The fine folks at Deadbird Studios in Louisville have teamed up with us for a pretty sweet deal on recording. Mention Never Nervous when booking studio time and get a free hour for every 8 hours booked! Call them at (502) 974-6289 to get the ball rolling.
- Melodic punk band Nowhere Fast have released the second single from their upcoming record Aeonian (due out 10/5). The song is called “Soft Spoken”, and like a lot of what we’ve heard from these guys, this is a nice throwback to late 90’s/early 00’s emo/pop punk in the vein of bands like Get Up Kids and Jimmy Eat World. Check it out via Bandcamp:
- R&B artist Domdi recently released a new album called Selfish — to promote it, a music video for the first single called “Listerine” was put together that showcases the singer lounging around a pool, living that comfortable, solitary life. The song itself opens as a sensual slow jam, then picks up into a bit of an ass-shaking beat. Domdi effortless glides through with his wonderfully smooth vocals. Check it out below:
- Bourbon & Beyond fest returns for it’s second go around this weekend, and tickets are still available. Notable acts include David Byrne, Sting, and Robert Plant. For the full lineup and ticket info, go here. Also, the Courier Journal has an article on a few “can’t miss” bourbon experiences that will be available at the fest.
- Atypical indie rock duo LUNG recently put out one hell of a record called All The King’s Horses. Read Jake’s review here, then listen to it below via Bandcamp (also on Spotify).
- It’s hard to believe that Saturday’s game against Virginia has become a sort of “must win” for Louisville football to regain some sort of confidence, not only with the team itself, but the fans too. The spread favors UVA by 4 1/2. Never woulda guessed that before the season started.
- Speaking of UVA, Michael McCammon gives a detailed scouting report on the Cavs in his weekly Know The Foe post via 247Sports.com.
- So Rick Pitino is now active on Twitter, and his first tweet is a real gem. So is this response to his first tweet:
- Cardinal basketball coach Chris Mack’s latest slam dunk on the recruiting trail is the commitment from Rockwall, Texas small forward/shooting guard hybrid Samuell Williamson who currently ranks 44th according to 247Sports and was heavily recruited by other big name programs like Kansas, Michigan and Ohio State. Check out a few highlight videos of the class of 2019 stud here.
- Are you like me and really hoping that the NBA someday comes to Louisville? Here’s your chance to catch up on what’s going on with the NBA2LOU initiative. Fore more info, go here.
- Is Louisville’s game against UVA a “must win”? We asked you via a Twitter Poll:
Is Louisville’s game against Virgina a MUST WIN game? 🐦🏈
— Never Nervous (@NeverNervous43) September 21, 2018
FOOD & DRINK
- In case you need food to supplement your football watching experience this weekend, why not get some of the best wings in Louisville at Mamas Mustard, Pickles & BBQ?
Don’t feel like cooking tonight? No worries. Call in and place your order with us today.
— Momma’s Mustard, Pickles & BBQ (@Mommas_BBQ) September 19, 2018
- Lonely Planet has a cool article up exploring a few of the most delicious pockets of town to explore — the post digs into the culinary scenes in the NuLu, Butchertown, Germantown and Clifton neighborhoods.
- Speaking of the Clifton area, this week Clifton’s Pizza abruptly closed their doors after being open for 28 saucy years. The calzone-shaped void in my soul will be empty forever.
- Louisville’s Gerron Hurt wins ‘MasterChef’ with southern-inspired dishes — The Courier Journal has more.
- Yes please.
Special release of our Black Blood of the Earth Barrel Aged today at 4 PM! pic.twitter.com/ZkXjYmRfW6
— Goodwood Brewing Co. (@GoodwoodBrewing) September 19, 2018
- This Saturday (9/22) is the third annual Creepy Cruise-In!!! This year’s horror-themed night at the Georgetown Drive-In has been announced, and it’s a doozey. It’s set to happen Saturday, September 22nd and features 3 killer horror flicks including Horror Hotel aka City of the Dead, one of my personal favorite witch movies starring Christopher Lee. Check out the flyer below:
- After suffering from a stroke a couple weeks ago, WDRB sports writer Eric Crawford appears to be recovering well in a video update he posted on Twitter. This makes me incredibly happy, as he’s my favorite sports journalist in this city, and has always seemed like an A+ human being.
An update, with thanks to everybody … pic.twitter.com/3giJXSyJC5
— Eric Crawford (@ericcrawford) September 19, 2018
- Lastly, in cas you’re looking for an affordable, but awesome band t-shirt — Fat Rabbit has you covered! I’ve got my eye on the Funkadelic shirt…
View this post on Instagram
It’s difficult to find reasonably priced used band tees these days, so I ordered a bunch of awesome new ones! $16 each. Small through XL on most. While supplies last! #thingswehave #fatrabbitky #bandtees #funkadelic #love #siouxsieandthebanshees #trex #misfits #pinkfloyd #thecramps #modernlovers #milesdavis #captainbeefheart #davidbowie #sunra #samhain #thinlizzy #billieholiday #captainbeefheart #screaminjayhawkins #flyingburritobrothers