Catch up on the week that was in Louisville by taking in a collection of hand picked happenings pertaining to the music community, the restaurant scene, our sports teams, etc. Every Friday, we’ll put together a list consisting of news tidbits that we either hadn’t had a chance to cover or news that we’d already written about but figured you might have missed. In other words, this is all of the weekly news that matters to us, for better or worse.
Got a tip on something you think should be on next week’s Weekly News & Notes? Let us know at email@example.com.
- This week’s NN featured album has been Saturday School – Sophomore Album. If you didn’t know, Saturday School features ex-members of Boner City, and their debut is pretty great. Listen to it below, then read Jake Hellman’s review here.
- As you probably know, Rob Pennington (Endpoint, By the Grace of God, Black Cross, Black God) is moving from Louisville to Charlotte, NC. To commemorate his 3 decades plus of contributions to Louisville punk and indie rock, I made a list featuring five of my favorite songs featuring RP. Check it out here.
- Speaking of Rob, LEO Weekly has a pretty cool article that delves into his and his wife Becca Lindsey’s decision to relocate — read it here. Then make plans to check out Black God’s and Julie of the Wolves’ last shows at Zanzabar this Saturday, 9/1.
- Mercury Ballroom is featuring its The End of Summer No Bummer special offer again this year. This means that now through the end of Labor Day, you can buy tickets to an upcoming show for $25 or less. Insider Louisville has all the details.
- Tampa, Florida rapper Jay Atoms just released a killer album called wildlife.com that features guest spots from a few of our favorite Louisville emcees including Jordan Jetson, sloe pink, and Yons. Check it out below via Bandcamp:
- Earlier this week, Never Nervous premiered a killer new single from Voodoo Economics called “Eight Dimes”. What’s it sound like? It hits me like a mix of vintage Pavement mixed with some of the more accessible radio rock from the mid 90’s — in other words, the essence that these dudes are emanating hits me right in my nostalgic sweet spot. Listen to it here.
- Is your band looking for a place to record your next single or album? The fine folks at Deadbird Studios in Louisville have teamed up with us for a pretty sweet deal on recording. Mention Never Nervous when booking studio time and get a free hour for every 8 hours booked! Call them at (502) 974-6289 to get the ball rolling.
- Andrew Rinehart released a cool new song called “Off on a Roll with a Soul” that has an indie pop meets Americana feel to it. It’s a good time, no doubt. Check it out below (also on Spotify), then head over to Stereogum for more details on the tune.
- I wasn’t able to attend the Flaming Lips show at Iroquois Amphitheater on Sunday, but Jake was, and he said it was “in his top 5 shows of all time”. I scoffed at that idea, until I saw this video on YouTube:
- Nick Sturtzel and Connor Waldman have started a new project called Cirrus Wav, and their debut single “About Rhythm” is streaming now on Bandcamp (listen below). The song, which is driven by a pair of picking guitars, features some beautifully intoxicating vocals from Lacy Guthrie (Twin Limb, Pleasure Boys).
- Never Nervous is sponsoring a show at Zanzabar tonight featuring Baby Bones, REDTED, and a new band that Jake and I are in called Prayer Line. Show costs $5 and starts at 9PM sharp — go here for more details.
- In case you aren’t familiar with REDTED, get a load of this killer song and music video they released a short while ago below. The song is called “Space Beekeeper Man”, and it’s a zesty toe-tapper with with a psychedelic vibe that is sure to warm your soul and if you’re feelin’ low.
- Get a load of this video of Alicia Keys dancing to a song by Jack Harlow. Unreal.
Alicia Keys dancing to Jack Harlow 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍 pic.twitter.com/TLTD0lWO42
— Jack Harlow (@jackharlow) August 29, 2018
- At last football season is here! Get excited for your Louisville Cardinals with a cool hype video put together by House of Cards!
- Louisville is a 24.5 point underdog against #1 Alabama. Will the Cards beat this lofty spread? Sam Chase at Sports Illustrated says yes.
- QB Jawon Pass nearly picked Alabama as a recruit. Now his first career start comes against the Tide. No, Pass isn’t Lamar Jackson. But he’s going to “shock” some people — that’s what Chris Hummer says via 247 Sports.
- Get a closer look at the new Louisville Football uniforms below — I like them a lot, actually. I’m still sticking with my Charlie Strong era #5 jersey, though.
— Louisville Sports Live (@LvilleSprtsLive) August 30, 2018
- Rick Pitino’s new book will be released next week, but a few excerpts have been leaked including this gem posted by the Courier Journal where RP describes Papa John Schnatter’s vibe toward the end: “His behavior was bizarre, and (Tom Jurich) and I looked at each other as Schnatter kept walking in and out of the video conference screen,” Pitino wrote. “He seemed unhinged.” Pitino: My Story hits the streets on September 4th.
- The ACC Network put together a pretty cool football season preview video for the Cards featuring interviews with Bobby Petrino and a few players, as well as a few highlights from last year; peep it below.
- Bobby Petrino is walking back some of the seemingly over-confident statements made by one of his players.”One of our offensive linemen said, I think we’re very capable, if we do these things right, of having dominating performances. But then they obviously wrote it something different.” Courier Journal has the story.
- Lamar Jackson did this last night in the Ravens final preseason game. I’m not surprised, either.
— Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) August 30, 2018
- Mark Jurich, son of former UofL athletic director Tom Jurich threw a hissy fit about the location of his father’s basketball and football tickets. No, really. Deadspin has the details.
- We can’t decide for ourselves, so we’re asking you: how many games will Louisville win this year?
How many games will Louisville win this football season? 🐦🏈
— Never Nervous (@NeverNervous43) August 30, 2018
FOOD & DRINK
- WorldFest, one of the region’s largest international festivals, celebrates its 16th anniversary with world food, music, dance, culture and education this Labor Day weekend. Go here for more details on this year’s go-around.
- Before you know it, Summer will be over! So get your ass over to Louisville Cream in Nulu for a quality scoop of ice cream, preferably the Great Bambino with a Funfetti cookie. Dear God, that looks so good.
— Louisville Cream (@LouisvilleCream) August 30, 2018
- Ahhh, shit yeah! Speaking of the end of Summer, be sure to get your hands on one of these Watermelon, Chiquen, and Gritz brews from Against The Grain right away!
Your favorite watermelon beer got canned today! Watermelon, Chiquen, and Gritz (6.15% ABV), is a golden ale with watermelon. It’s brewed in collaboration with @NappyRoots & we added more 🍉 this time 😎
Get it first this Sunday, 9/2 at the Smokehouse before it hits distribution! pic.twitter.com/brRYJ6COEr
— Against the Grain Brewery (@AtGBrewery) August 29, 2018
- KFC is launching a stunt where they will pay you $11,000 to name your kid after Colonel Sanders. I would do it, but I’m never having kids. Megan Friedman has more via WLKY.
- Looking for a place to watch ALL IN on Saturday? Get your ass out to our viewing party at Kaiju to watch the biggest event in indie wrestling history. Never Nervous, Sean Vs. Wild, and Collar X Elbow and Nerd Louisville have joined forces to put on the biggest and best ALL IN watch party to be at. The event is free, and $5 gets you a raffle ticket for one of the multiple drawings we will doing throughout the night. Go here for more details.
- The 2nd annual Dam Good Improv Festival is happening this weekend at Bard’s Town in the Highlands! Here’s your chance to check out Louisville’s First Official Improv Festival that showcases local & national acts with aware winning performances, improv workshops & more.
- Haven’t you always wanted to hang out with Steve Harvey in front of a studio audience? Here’s your chance! Family Feud will be coming to Louisville looking for families to compete. Auditions will be held in Louisville on September 22 and September 23. If you are interested, you must apply here to get further details.
- And finally, Jennifer Lawrence is apparantly the new face of Dior. Hey, how about that.
JOY BY DIOR, THE NEW FRAGRANCE
The new #JoybyDior fragrance. An ode to pleasure and glamour, embodied by an icon of youth, the radiant Jennifer Lawrence. More https://t.co/bVqpaU2Qlp.#TheJoyofDior #JenniferLawrence #Diorparfums pic.twitter.com/2dXu12ijMc
— Dior (@Dior) August 21, 2018