Catch up on the week that was in Louisville by taking in a collection of hand picked happenings pertaining to the music community, the restaurant scene, our sports teams, etc. Every Friday, we’ll put together a list consisting of news tidbits that we either hadn’t had a chance to cover or news that we’d already written about but figured you might have missed. In other words, this is all of the weekly news that matters to us.
Got a tip on something you think should be on next week’s Weekly News & Notes? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This week’s featured album has been Jordan Jetson‘s Black Aria 2, which is streaming now on Spotify. Read our interview with Jetson where he talks about the Black Aria series, Louisville hip hop, and more.
- A Louisville mayoral candidate vows to focus on medical marijuana legalization. According to a news release, Louisville mayor candidate Sean Vandevander plans to craft and push, “legislation to decriminalize, legalize and tax medical Cannabis”. In other words, he’s pushing to legalize medical marijuana in the Derby City. Go here for more information.
- A new microbrewery may or may not be opening in Old Louisville. According to the Courier Journal, “Noble Funk Brewery intends to take over the site at 940 S. Third St., that sits just to the south of Spalding University. We know they’re planning an outdoor tap room, a funky crown logo, an activity lawn and 5,000-square-feet of brewing space for the empty garage, according to the documents.” Hell yeah… I think.
- Melodic punk band Nowhere Fast has a new single streaming called “Lifer” which will be featured on an upcoming nine song LP titled Aeonian which is due out on October 5th. The record was recorded by Nick Diener (Swellers/ApologyTour) at Oneder Studios in Michigan. The single itself resonates with me as a combination of early Saves The Day mixed with Jimmy Eat World. Check it out below:
- In case you missed it, read my review of Red Top Hotdogs, a new spot at 1127 Logan St. that is quickly gaining popularity for their specialty, gourmet hot dogs — not to mention their awesome sides.
- Rick Pitino had a horse named Party Dancer win at Del Mar over the weekend. Yeaaah, you read that right. When asked about the horse’s unfortunate name, Pitino responded “It never dawned on me that ‘Party Dancer’ is a striptease act.” Read more about the latest debacle surrounding RP and how it’s definitely not his fault here.
- Submissions for the next volume of Louisville Is For Lovers are now being accepted. Do you or your band have a love song that you think belongs on the next edition of LIFL? Go here for all info and inquiries.
- Looking for a good way to celebrate the last few weeks of Summer? Get your ass out to 3rd Turn in J-town to taste their killer Summer beer called Brosky, an Imperial Kolsch dry hopped with Citra hops!
- On Saturday, August 18th, the Humane Society is waiving adoption fees on all adult cats and will charge just $25 for select dogs. Read more here.
- Big things are happening at Ohio Valley Wrestling. We were hoping to start seeing more happen there since it was purchased by Al Snow earlier this year. Well here ya go! They are giving fans 2 opportunities to see ECW Legend Tommy Dreamer! Wednesday 8/22 at Davis Arena and at the Kentucky State Fair on Thursday 8/23!
Several fans have messaged us asking about the Tommy Dreamer wrestling seminar and if they would get the opportunity to see him wrestle in an OVW ring. We have listened and are excited to announce that next week we are presenting a double shot of Tommy Dreamer! That’s right, Tommy Dreamer will not only be giving a wrestling seminar to trained wrestlers on Tuesday 8/21, but he will also be appearing live at the Davis Arena for the TV Tapings on Wednesday 8/22, and then AGAIN at our big show at the Kentucky State Fair on Thursday 8/23!!! You could say it’s “Tommy Dreamer Week” next week at OVW. If you have not had the privilege of seeing him live, you are certainly in for a treat. We can’t wait!
- The debut album from GRLwood has been streaming on Spotify and other services for a few months now, but for those of you that live for physical media, sonoBLAST! Records is at last releasing Daddy on CD. Get your copy at the release show which is happening Saturday, 9/1 at OPEN Community Arts Center (2801 South Floyd St.) — go here for more details on the event.
- Never have been much of a Puma fan, but I’d rock this new Terry Rozier shirt without a doubt.
— PUMA Basketball (@PUMAHoops) August 9, 2018
- Making plans to head to the Kentucky State Fair? Zahria Jones at the Courier Journal outlines a few highlights a few things you might be interested in check out. For more information and a list of this year’s bands/artists, go here.
- Speaking of the fair, New Wave Burritos is celebrating this year’s go-around with a fair-themed burrito as the weekend special.
The weekend special is the return of The Blue Ribbon’rrito! To celebrate the Kentucky State Fair rolling into town we have a burrito with ground beef, glazed donuts, curly fries, bacon, american cheese, pink lemonade mayo, pickles, grilled onions and scallions! pic.twitter.com/WKyf1Jjey6
— New Wave Burritos (@newwaveburritos) August 16, 2018
- Relive Seven Sense Fest with our extensive recap, complete with a collection of cool photos by Miranda Hellman. Read our review here, then peep a video we made featuring clips from a few sets we enjoyed.
- This illustration from Louisville political cartoonist Marc Murphy was how I was notified that legendary singer Aretha Franklin had passed away. R.I.P.
— Marc Murphy (@MurphyCartoons) August 16, 2018
- The folks at Deadbird Studios in Louisville have teamed up with us for a pretty sweet deal on recording. Mention Never Nervous when booking studio time and get a free hour for every 8 hours booked! Call them at (502) 974-6289 to get the ball rolling.
- To get football fans hyped on a few upcoming games from opening weekend, ESPN and Marvel teamed up to produce some comic book covers to promote a few choice match-ups. Get a load of the Louisville vs. Alabama cover below, then go here to see the others.
- When a coworker told me that Joe’s Older Than Dirt makes a really good brisket chili, nothing was gonna stop me from trying it. Not even the sweltering Summer heat. And yeah, it’s daaaamn good.
- Post hardcore band Foxbat has a new album out called ROTGUT — stream it now via Bandcamp, Spotify, etc. The album is also available on CD. Listen to it below, preferably at a high volume.
- Another example of Donovan Mitchell being Donovan Mitchell:
Donovan hooked my cousin up with some shoes. She was just diagnosed with cancer. This guy is too good to be true. pic.twitter.com/lZi1QhzLiL
— Jazz6thMan (@Jazz6thman) August 11, 2018
- Oh snap — Nappy Roots is teaming up with Against The Grain for a new brew called “Watermelon, Chiquen, and Gritz” which is set to be ready to drink in September. Yes please.
🚨 Get hyped! 🚨 A fresh batch of Watermelon, Chiquen, and Gritz, our collab with @NappyRoots is coming for you again this September.
And we’re adding even MORE watermelon 🍉🍻 pic.twitter.com/YDWRBuG37X
— Against the Grain Brewery (@AtGBrewery) August 13, 2018
- Yeah, Lung is technically a Cincinnati band, but one half of the band cut his teeth in Louisville, so we’ll continue to write about them whether you like it or not. Check out a badass new video of the band performing their song “Spiders” at Candyland — the song will be featured on their upcoming record All the King’s Horses which is due out October 26th via SofaBurn. “Spiders” is currently streaming on Spotify.
- Lastly, is Bobby Petrino on the hot seat? Is his job at all in danger? Some in the national media say yes, while WDRB’s Rick Bozich says no. What do you think? Vote below:
Is Bobby Petrino on the hot seat? 🏈
— Never Nervous (@NeverNervous43) August 16, 2018